[Organizations and Clubs]
[Chamber of Commerce]
A Sportsman's Paradise!
"Proud of the Past - Planning for the
|The city of Hawthorne evolved from a tiny settlement established around
1840. Daniel Morrison built his Grist Mill here attracting settlers, and so the roots of a
community were firmly in place. In 1880 the town was named "Hawthorn" in honor
of James M. Hawthorn, a two fisted Indian fighter who encouraged the growth of the town by
giving the railroad land to run its line west of Johnson Lake. Shortly after the town was
incorporated in 1881, W. S. Moore opened a hotel to house and entertain hunters who came
here from all over the country to enjoy the abundant hunting and fishing in the area.
Moore's Hotel became one of the finest hotels in Florida and over 2,500 game birds would
be served on the dinning room table in a single season. During this time Hawthorn held out
its hospitable hand of welcome to the health-seeker, praying for renewed vigor; to the
sportsman in search of pleasure; to the capitalist seeking profitable investment; to the
manufacturer looking for a desirable location; to the tiller of the soil in quest of land
where everything would grow, and to the honest artisan wishing work to earn a livelihood.
Another gentleman responsible for the up building of the town was F. J. Hammond, a
broadminded and public spirited merchant and promoter of the city's best interests. He
owned and operated two large stores that carried a splendid stock of goods unsurpassed in
the country. Thanks to these great men a very positive growth pattern had been established
and a diversified economy was flourishing. Hawthorn continued to grow and prosper due to
the fact it was not solely dependent upon the citrus culture like so many of the other
towns in Florida at the turn of the century. Agricultural enterprises provided bountiful
variety of foods to tempt even the most discriminating appetite. Around 1940, Hawthorn's
agricultural image began acquiring interest. An initial 15,000-acre acquisition was
bolstered by an additional 40,000 acres, ten years later. Mayor Sid Martin added an
"e" to Hawthorn that changed the spelling to what it is today, Hawthorne.
Plywood manufacturing began in 1982 with the opening of a Georgia Pacific Plant. In 1986,
the opening of a Miller's Shopping Center reinforced the existing quality of life. The
city of Hawthorne and the Hawthorne Area Chamber of Commerce are planning for the future.
The preservation of our natural beauty and the planned growth of our community coupled
with the rapidly expanding job markets in Gainesville and Ocala will make Hawthorne one of
the prime areas to reside for future generations. For more information about Hawthorne,
please visit the new Hawthorne page.