[Organizations and Clubs]
[Chamber of Commerce]
1834 - James M. Hawthorn settled in the community known as
1840 - First communities are starting to be settled at Grabal, which later will be called Jamestown and eventually be known as Hawthorn.
1854 - Morrison Mill opened.
1854 - John and
Mary Holden who are from Ireland settle in Hawthorn.
1867 - Morrison Mill closed.
1869 - A log school was built for Dr. Clark in Jamestown.
Mrs. Forward was the first teacher.
1870 - Morrison Mill reopened.
Mrs. Hawthorn, wife of James M. Hawthorn dies.
1871 - Morrison Mill closes.
1872 - As the community grew, a Masonic Lodge was founded by Dr. Robert Morris.
1873 - Morrison Mill reopened.
1876 - George F. Bates became the first Postmaster in Jamestown.
1879 - March 18, Jamestown Post Office opened.
1879 - Morrison Mill closed.
1879 - Mail for the Jamestown community was received through Morrison Mill Post Office ran by Benjamin W. Powell.
1880 - James M. Hawthorn owned most of the land north of the
A.C.L. tracks. Jamestown community changed it's name to Hawthorn to honor Mr. Hawthorn.
1882 - Green Manns of Hawthorn filed a notice with the U.S. Land Office at Gainesville on September 26.
1890 - By this time the town of Hawthorn was thriving with two cotton gins, a sawmill, a livery and feed stable, two hotels, and a blacksmith.
1891 - Methodist church built (Methodist Episcopal South at that time)
1894 - James M. Hawthorn Dies.
1896 - The school principal in Hawthorn was Professor T. M. Rivers.
1906 - The Florida agricultural
commissioner announced that Hawthorn's 1900 census was 296 and 374 in 1905.
1907 - F. J. Hammond lost his store to a fire in the month of December.
1911 - The town now has a bank.
1913 - Glen Moore has a Ford Dealership in Hawthorn.
1914 - A small Coca-cola bottling plant was established by
1915 - A water system was set up for the community of Hawthorn, three more schools had been built.
1920 - Holden & Smith started a turpentine still, which was later operated by Johnson & Johnson.
1928 - The town hall had become the life of the community, motion pictures were shown there at a cost of ten cents.
Mr. Guy Lindsey received a patent for his truck body, which was used to ship produce to northern states.
1950 - The "e" was added to Hawthorn to make it what it remains today, Hawthorne.
1955 - Automation caught up with Hawthorne and passed it up. Hawthorne packing sheds closed as area farmers could not compete with the efficient mechanical harvesters.
1958 - City government had been well established.
1958 - Lindsey sold his packing shed to Frank Worley.
1967 - Chester Shell, for which Shell Elementary was named died at the age of seventy-five.
Mr. Shell was a retired railroad worker who personally directed the fund raising campaign to build the school in 1927.
1970 - The new Hawthorne High School opened September 14.
1970 - Wayside Park was dedicated. The land for the park was donated by Hattie
Nabb, granddaughter of James Hawthorn, and was the last of Hawthorn's original holdings.
1974 - The city council voted to join in with county
commissioners and the school board to provide a track and recreational facilities for the city and school at the high school.
1974 - The old Lindsey Packing shed was demolished to
conform to Hawthorne's beautification program.
1983 - A tornado rips through Hawthorne and leaving great destruction.
1986 - The first shopping center opens in Hawthorne, Millers' Square.
1995 - The city begins and finishes construction on it's sewer system.