SHERIFF EXISTS ONLY FOR PATRONAGE PURPOSES
An analysis to determine the similarities between the modus operandi of
the Florida Bar and organized crime utilizing a Fort Lauderdale
The article is from the 1/18/98 edition of the Fort Lauderdale, Florida,
Sun-Sentinel, Outlook, Fredrick W. Guardabassi.
- Why does Broward County need a Sheriff anyway? The most qualified
candidate, acting Sheriff Susan McCampbell, was not appointed by Governor
Chiles because she didn't have the right political background, and what
has that got to do with being a good sheriff?
- Sen. Ken Jenne's law enforcement background is as thin as that of some
of his predecessors, namely Ed Stack and George Bresher.
- If law enforcement experience is not important, then what is the point
of having a sheriff at all?
- The jail stockade, airport and port security should be privatized. The
unincorporated parts of the county should be annexed by the surrounding
metropolitan areas, which are policed by their own departments.
- And the crime lab could be an entity unto itself, available to all
- Millions of dollars could be saved and the sheriff's department would
no longer serve as a vehicle for political patronage and corruption. Has
anyone ever heard who is sheriff of Miami-Dade County? The office of
sheriff should be abolished.
- The days when we needed Wyatt Earp have long since passed.
- If we must have a sheriff, let or her have a solid law enforcement
background with a proven track record of administrative ability.
This Web page is one of a SERIES OF WEB PAGES
with articles from the Fort Lauderdale Sun_Sentinel examining the
It is a page in the Web site entitled LEGAL REFORM
THROUGH TRANSFORMING THE DISCIPLINE OF LAW INTO A SCIENCE