43th STURM PIONIER BATAILLON (Mtz)
REQUIRED COMBAT UNIFORM and EQUIPMENT
M1935 or M1940 Helmet.
- mouse grey, cotton weave, 4 button placket, pleated pockets and shoulder loops,
- olive green, cotton knit, 4 button placket, no pockets,
- grey/green cotton weave, 4 button placket, pockets no pleat.
M1941 Tunic, field grey collar, pleated pockets, and 5 buttons.
Shoulder Boards and collar tabs to be from the engineer branch of service.
The M1936 Tunic is acceptable if the need exists.
M1936 Trousers, field grey, straight legs, right hip pocket, slash front pockets, watch pocket, adjustable back belt.
Marching Boots, 3 piece construction, hobnails, heel and toe plates.
- Koppel and Koppelschloss (waistbelt and buckle [steel, field
- Patronentashe 11 (ammunition Pouches ).
- Seitengewehrtasche fur Unberittene or Berittene [Kar. 98K Mounted or Dismounted Sidearm Carrier]
(bayonet frog without or with retaining strap).
- Koppeltraggestell fur Infanterie (infantry support Y straps).
- Brotbeutel 31 (bread bag) strap buttons, center belt hook [various shades of green to brown].
- Feldflasche 31 und Trinkbecker (canteen and cup).
- Kochgeschirr 31 (cook pot or mess kit) with strap [dark grey, olive green after April of 1941].
- Kleines Schanzzeug (small entrenching tool) or Klappspaten (folding spade) with Tasche (carrier).
- Tragbuchse fur Gasmaske (carrying case for gas mask).
* ALL LEATHER ITEMS TO BE BLACK *
- Kar. 98K Mauser Karbine.
- Sidearm (Kar. 98K S84/98 bayonet).
* Standard issue rifle and bayonet for German Pionier *
- Trench Knife.
- Maschinenpistole 38/40.
- Gew. 41 (Walther or Mauser model)
- Gew. or Kar. 43 (late 1943)
* Proper ammunition pouches required for weapon used. *
Length Not to touch the ears or collar, to be tapered. Long hair on top and almost none on sides seen quite often.
Facial hair- None at all.
Eyewear To be period glasses or wear contacts
UNIFORM and EQUIPMENT OPTIONS
- M1942 Helmet after 1941. Suggest Camoflage Cover.
- M1934, M1942 or M1943 Feldmutze (field cap).
- M1943 Tunic, plain pockets and 6 buttons, engineer collar tabs and shoulder boards.
- M1943 Trousers. double button waistband, slash front pockets, right hip pocket, belt loops and side adjustable straps.
- Standard Greatcoat (overcoat) with regular or wide collar.
- Surcoat (overcoat produced after the winter of 1941).
- Quilted Parka, white reversible to grey (up to 1943) or white reversible to splinter (1943 and after).
- Low Boots (brown or black) with separate 2 buckle canvas gaiters, in 1943.
- Camouflage Smock, splinter pattern A or Tan/Water pattern after 1943.
* Any of these articles can be used the year as stated. *
- Gefechtsgepack fur Infantrie Schutzenkompanien (combat pack).
- Beutel zum Gefechtsgepack (bag for combat pack).
- Gasplane (gas sheet and bag)
- Pioniersturmgepack (pioneer assault pack) consisting of a Sturmtache (assault pack) and two Seitettachen (side pouches). Issued to one out of every five pioniers.
- Zeltbahn 31 (shelter quarter/poncho) with straps (2).
- Bekleidungsack 31 (clothing bag)
- Tornister 34 or 39 (pack) with or without calfskin
- Kampf Rucksacken (battle rucksack).
- Tragetaschen fur Handgranaten (hand grenade pouch).
- Mammschaftsdecke (enlisted man's blanket).
- Gasmaske 38 (gas mask).
* Webbing may be used to replace leather equipment in 1944, due to leather shortages. Captured equipment is acceptable depending on theater of operation. *
ADDITIONAL ITEMS (optional)
These items are to help make your soldiers impression morepersonalized. They may also allow you to sustain yourself in thefield longer.
- Fettdose (fat container).
- Eating Utensils, swivel spoon and fork or detachable knife, spoon and fork with can opener.
- Feldtaschen Lampe (field pocket lamp [flashlight]).
- Esbit Kocher (folding field stove).
- Tobacco Can Cleaning Kit for Kar. 98K.
- Tent Pole, pegs and rope for Zeltbahn.
- Erkennungsmarken (dog tag).
- Soldbuch (paybook).
- Wehrpass (military pass).
These requirements and recommendations are for the Germancombat engineer fighting on the continent of Europe. Thetropical uniform is a completely different matter. Theserequirements are believed to be the minimun for a good impressionof a German combat engineer during W.W.II. The M1941 Tunic andM1936 Trousers allows one to participate in numerous Russianfront battles as well as in Italy and France. The gasmaskcanister is required because soldiers were required to carrytheir gasmasks and this gives the appearance of carrying them. In fact they were fined money if they did not have them. Thecamouflage helmet cover is suggested so that the true model ofyour helmet is concealed. That way a M1942 helmet can be wornprior to that year. Everyone will obtain a standard German issueweapon. Even though captured weapons were used by the Germans,we will not have the majority of the unit carrying them.